CVMR® is a privately held, metal refining technology provider that is also engaged in mining and refining of its own mineral resources in 18 different countries. The company was established in 1986, with its head office and R & D Centre in Toronto, Canada.
CVMR® is a world leader in metal powder production used in 3D printing, Metal Injection Molding (MIM), super alloys, complex net shapes, electronics, rechargeable batteries, manufacture of aerospace and automotive parts, medical instruments, pharmaceuticals and dietary supplements.
In producing these products, CVMR® uses its proprietary technologies and refining processes based on what is known as “vapour metallurgy.” The company’s name and trademark, CVMR®, is an acronym derived from its principal refining processes, “Chemical Vapour Metal Refining.”
CVMR® is Engaged in:
- Mining and metal refining some 36 metals, using proprietary vapour metallurgy processes and technologies and its own mineral resources in Africa, the Far East and North America;
- Manufacturing high value metal powders, nano-powders, complex net shapes and super alloys;
- Providing feed materials for 3D Printing (Additive Manufacturing) and Metal Injection Moulding (MIM);
- Manufacturing graphite films on nickel or iron substrates, using cold-wall chemical vapour deposition (CVD) from a mixture of hydrogen and methane;
- Manufacturing graphene and graphite from CO2, CH4, and Anthracite;
- Creating graphite flakes coated or imbedded with nano-metal powders;
- Refining of lithium in chloride-based brine, sulphate-based brine, fossilized brine clay deposits and spodumene. The process can easily and economically overcome the magnesium and boron barriers in refining of lithium. It allows reagents to be recycled making it quite suitable for locations where logistics would be of major concern;
- Producing refined elements for nano-flow-cell vanadium batteries, and batteries based on various combinations of lithium, manganese oxide (LMO); lithium, manganese, nickel oxide (LMNO); lithium, nickel, cobalt, aluminum oxide (LNCA);
- Refining Rare Earth Elements (REE), using a proprietary vapour metallurgy process instead of hydrometallurgy acid leaching extraction currently used in the REE refining industry;
- Refining of both sulphide and laterite ores;
- Providing a range of technologically innovative solutions to the mining, refining and metal powder manufacturing industries.
Credentials & Experience
CVMR®’s proprietary technologies enable it to refine metals directly from laterite or sulphide ore concentrates, tailings, scrap metals, and even radioactively contaminated metals, in order to manufacture metal powders, including nano-powders, coatings, net shapes of various kinds, mostly in nickel and iron, cobalt, PGE, manganese, magnesium, REE, tantalum, niobium, tungsten, molybdenum, titanium, vanadium, copper, gold, silver, altogether 36 different metals. CVMR® can refine laterite or sulphide ores rapidly and at a lower operational cost than other prevailing refining methods and produce high value products that are used directly by a variety of industries.
CVMR® has extensive experience in refining of lithium in brine and from spodumene. In cooperation with its sister company M-Power Corporation (www.mpowercorp.ca), CVMR® is engaged in converting CO2, methane gas and anthracite to graphene and to produce battery grade graphite. It also produces battery grade lithium, manganese, nickel, cobalt and vanadium.
Over the past 36 years, CVMR® has developed a series of unique processes and technologies for refining of 36 different metals and creation of graphite and graphene from which it can manufacture various end user products. CVMR®’s technologies are based on proven chemical processes and methods some of which were invented over110 years ago, but hardly commercialized.
CVMR®’s Refining Methods
The proprietary vapour metallurgy processes used by CVMR® refine various metals by chemically vaporizing them close to atmospheric pressure and relatively low temperatures. Using its proprietary processes and technologies CVMR® manufactures various metal powders and complex metal net shapes, as part of the same process, for the end user markets. CVMR® processes do not melt the metals as is done in the usual smelting processes. CVMR®'s refining plants are pollution free and completely neutral to the environment. They create no air, water or soil pollution of any kind. CVMR®’s plants are hermetically sealed, and all gases used in their various processes of vaporizing metals are recycled.
All CVMR®'s refining and manufacturing plants are built on a modular basis, enabling a substantial degree of flexibility, allowing a plant to be built and to grow in size gradually. Each phase is self-sufficient and pays off its own capital cost in less than three years and continues to operate as a unit within the larger, fully integrated operation for the entire life of the plant. Each module is capable of processing different ores, concentrates or metal scraps and hence manufacturing various metal products, for diverse markets. CVMR®’s refining and manufacturing processes are capable of producing pure metal products with a very high degree of purity. Moreover, they produce products for final consumption without a need for further enhancement, e.g. various metal powders for use in batteries, 3D Printing, Metal Injection Moulding (MIM), aerospace and automotive parts manufacturing, nano-powders, net shapes, medical instruments, computer parts, electronic parts, moulds and tools, super alloys, sophisticated net shapes for use in the defence and aerospace industries, etc.
All such outputs inevitably attract highly valued sophisticated industries with high paying industrial jobs as secondary industries that CVMR®’s products can feed into Just-In-Time, enhancing any host country’s economy far beyond the value added to the mined and recycled metals. CVMR®'s products have had a very strong, dependable export market for high value metal powders and net shapes in the past 36 years. All indicators point to an even stronger international market with substantial potential for growth.
SNO Project Videos
CVMR® is proud to have supplied the high purity tubes used at the SNO Project
Stephen Hawking visits SNO
Arthur McDonald: The Sudbury Neutrino Observatory
Introduction to the Science of SNOLAB